Monday, December 27, 2004

Death and other assorted weaknesses of the human body

Illness is not a pretty thing. It brings the best of us down and condemns us to such a weakened existence that some would rather be dead.
Recently, i had the chance to visit my old tuition teacher. When i was in Brunei i received a call from my bro, who said she suffered from a stroke. I didnt know what to expect, but when i saw her.... My God. She looked so different. The illness had sucked the vitality out of her body. She was so... slow. It seemed a labour for her to talk. The process of thinking seemed to take an excruciating eternity. I was shocked. her house used to flow with the music of a virtuoso pianist. Now she barely had the strength to lift a thermos mug, much less to pound the ivory keys. I sat in a sad, soft silence, while my brother and his friend chatted with her about life.
Mortality is a frightening thing to behold. Dying is fine. Waking up one day, sleeping and never waking up is fine. What is painful is the slow, debilitating slide to disability and helplessness. What will you do when you are too weak and helpless to do anything?
...
...
Euthanasia!! =)
(tasteless but true)

No comments: