Monday, May 21, 2007

Love Song for an Ocean

I wish i could be born with gills
to stay under your waves forever
The cool rush of the current
the silent hiss of the regulators
The eternal silence that echoes through the reefs
The gentle weightlessness of floating

You hold me gently to your womb
guiding me past the dangers and beauty
(for in beauty lies danger)
(and in danger lies beauty)
Floating in an endless void
(nothing is endless)
(aquae aeturnium)

You show me the wonders
The natural partnerships
the harmony of life
That living creatures big and small
live peacefully
under the waves pelagic.
Shimmering turqoise, Glowing greens, brillian blues

The stings of the anemone lay beneath me
shepherded jealously by the numerous nemos
The walls of staghorns expand as far as the eye can see
pierced by brains here and there
in the midst lie little urchins
(please sir may i have some food?)
Their deep blue eyes staring at me
Their long deadly nails waving in the current
piercing unwary visitors such as i.

A happy life it would be
to stay under your waves forever.
Alas i was not born with gills
and i await our next reunion.

1 comment:

wk said...

great poem mate