Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Ah Ma, please wake up.

Last night my grandmother passed away peacefully at around 10pm.

It's a mercy really. She was bedridden for the past 10 years, and struck with both stroke and alzheimers in her later years of life.

She could barely talk, barely move, and had to be helped in everything she had to do.

Godspeed Ah Ma, into the light.

My mom commented - It's the seventh month, and when the gates of hell are open, perhaps my grandfather came back and told my grandmother - "stop suffering. Come with me and be free from the pain and suffering."

Poetic, really. He has been waiting for her for more than 20 years.

The sad part is watching my aunties and uncles, her children cope with the loss.
It's really terrible to see them breakdown, and let it all out.
But therapeutic I guess?
People cope with loss in different ways.

The wake is on from today until friday. If you guys cant seem to contact me, i'll be busy cementing the solidarity of a family united in grief.

Plus its a nice and quiet time to sit and read some stuff.

And a good time to take notes. Someday, I might have to do this for my parents. Hopefully that day is far far into the future.

I must be like the most depressing person to talk to these few days lah. Haha.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice thoughts. I was in Laos and we witnessed a funeral - Lao style. It was essentially a celebration not the solemn ones we see in Singapore. In Lao they say that the living celebrate the ending of suffereing for the deceased.