Friday, August 08, 2008

A Categorical Imperative

I always wanted to read Immanuel Kant's work.

"Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law."
I found that statement to be eminently impressive, in both scope and application.

Of course a more popular restatement of the sentence would be exemplified in the Golden Rule:

"Do unto others as you want others to do unto you"

And suprisingly, it's in the Bible!

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Luke 6:31

Coincidence? I think not.

In my life, I have always found it beneficial to apply this rule as an universal maxim of human behaviour. Be nice to others, others will be nice to me. Childish, perhaps, but still true. Being pleasant and engaging never hurt anyone.

And of course, the world is round. What goes around comes around.

Perhaps Kant got it right the first time around.

No comments: