Sunday, October 26, 2008

Casablanca

A new friend of mine told me I should watch Casablanca.

And so I did.

And I was blown away.

There's a certain pace and rhythm to the movies of those times, and it is a calming one. Following the ebb and flow of the plot is simple, and pleasantly relaxing. One thing i'm really taken in by is, as i have previously mentioned before, the gravity of the actor's screen presence, and the way they steal the scenes everytime they step on. Humphrey Bogart plays the jaded owner to cynical perfection, while Ingrid Bergman steals the limelight in soft focus black and white. She looks like she's GLOWING.

Well, maybe not this one. But you get the idea.

Black and white cinema is a style unto itself - Lacking colours, it seems that either the actors are forced into being more in focus. Or is it that with a lack of colour, we, as the viewers are more entranced by the actors than the scenes?

And of course, amazing one-liners and quotable quotes.

"Play it, Sam."
"Here's looking at you kid."
"Of all the gin joints of all the towns in the world she has to walk into mine."

And possibly one of my favourite jazzy songs:

"You must remember this. A kiss is still a kiss. A sigh is just a sigh. The fundamental things apply, as time goes by. And when two lovers woo, they still say "I love you". On that you can rely. No matter what the future brings, as time goes by.

Moonlight and love songs, never out of date. Hearts full of passion, jealousy and hate. Woman needs man, and man must have his mate. That, noone can deny.

It's still the same old story, the fight for love and glory, a case of do or die. The world will always welcome lovers, as time goes by."


Pleasant days and pleasant nights. I'm learning a bit more of myself everytime I open my eyes. Life is moving. :)

No comments: